The first thing in which I needed to invest was a wire jig, I chose the Thing-a-ma-jig, partially because the name is hilarious and partially because it was the only jig Michaels sold. I bought some 16 gauge, dead-soft copper wire and followed the guide provided in the book to create this:
I made 9 of these, each 1 better than the last, to create a necklace. I still need to "hammer" these between 2 wood blocks to flatten the design a little bit. I also made a hook and clasp to use to complete the necklace. I haven't made the necklace itself yet but that's the next step :)
Another "recipe" involved crocheting 26 gauge wire to create a flower. It's meant to be a pin, but I haven't found the ingredient needed to be able to attach it to a pin back yet. Here's my crocheted wire flower that's made from 119 beads and 8 yards of copper wire:
I apologize that it's a cruddy cellphone camera image taken on my lap (my inner photographer is very angry with me for publishing this!) but you can get the basic idea from the image. I still need to add some finishing touches before the flower itself is complete....and of course figure out how to actually make it into a pin!
I guess it does take just a little bit of brave to try something new and now that I'm learning these new skills I feel like I'm actually going to be able to create something new and different.